Lemony Lemon Sugar Cookies
Sweet Treats for Summer
I wonder if you’re anything like me or am I riding solo here. You see, whenever I’m tasked with sitting down at the computer, or similar, to concentrate, there always seems to be a self-invented distraction. Noticing a stain on the floor that needs my immediate attention. Dishes and laundry, never ending. “Oops, I forgot to water the plants.” “Now I’m hungry.” “The game is on!” As a result, what should have taken me only a few hours of concentration have now taken the entire day. So, it’s either procrastination, or am I just an old dumbass?
This is my 29th Food Blog!
Whenever I reach 50 food blogs, or if, a cookbook should follow thereafter, don’t you think? Knowing my computer expertise, I’m sure it’ll be a snap. So, if you believe that, I have several plots of real estate in the everglades I’d like to sell you. This is my third time featuring the almighty lemon as the star, Lucy’s Gluten Free Lemon squares-CB’s baking Genesis and Lemon Meringue Pie for my Uncle’s Birthday, the previous two. This beautiful citrus, alkaline-balancer is one of the most versatile and clearly an all-time favorite of mine.
The Summer Solstice
So, June 21, was the phenomenon called The Summer Solstice, also known as the longest day of the year. Although it doesn’t feel like it to me, apparently the Earth’s axis is tilted by about 23.5 degrees, allowing the sun to shine the brightest and longest on June’s clear skies. However, in LA, we’re still in June gloom. Basically, we’re like Nero, we fiddle while the rest of the country burns. Evidently, even Europe is hotter than we are. Don’t come for me in the comments, I’m sure we’ll be sizzling soon enough here. Or, will we? Climate change is a real thing, you know.
Don’t mess with Mother Nature
To be sure, today is a very sad day. By the time this will be published, the recovery of the 5 people killed onboard The Ocean Gate sub, will be well in progress. A story that has captured the attention of the world from Sunday, June 18, to Thursday, June 22, ends in tragedy. All things considered, the evidence points to them perishing instantly with experts saying they may not even have known what was happening until it happened. The director of that memorable film, Titanic, which reignited the fascination for millions, gave an eerie interview today saying that he’d had a premonition, James Cameron – ‘I felt in my bones what happened to the sub.’
Lemony Lemon Sugar Cookies - Semi-Homemade
- 1 baking sheet 9 x 13
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 wooden spoon, fork or silicone spatula
- 1 rasp or zester
- 1 ice cream scoop
- 1 cooling rack
- plastic wrap
- 1 package Sugar cookie mix. I use whatever's on sale. Betty Crocker etc., 1 lb./17.5oz/496g
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, margarine or vegan spread, softened not melted
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or fiori di sicilia
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon extract, and 2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional). Beat well until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with the softened butter, add cookie mix and egg mixture and a pinch of salt. With a fork or silicone spatula, blend the ingredients together until a soft dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat over to 325F degrees. 163C degrees
- With an ice cream scoop or two large tablespoons, scoop dough onto an ungreased baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. For smaller cookies use rounded teaspoons.
- Bake 9 to 14 minutes or until cookies are light-brown on the edges. Let cool 1 minute before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely, store in an airtight container.
And now some feel-goods
As has been noted, the current world we’re living in is in an uproar. Therefore, I try as best as I can, to surround myself with positivity. While not always the cure, it helps to bring a smile to my face. Thus, the above thumbnails are exactly that. Indeed, little feel-goods. Despite the fact that they come from social media, the tool of the enemy and a heavy contributor to the opening paragraph, some of it is used for good. For the most part, I acknowledge that I’m a dinosaur and far beyond the ‘target audience’. Also, I know that age is just a number and to be proud of the number I have. Because tomorrow is not promised to any of us, I will make lemonade out of lemons. Or cookies, or pie, or squares, etc. I really don’t care. Thanks for reading.
Cookies, cake or ice cream? What’s your favorite?